ASNT NDT Level III is a very reputed designation in the NDT Industry. NDT Level III personnel are considered key personnel, usually involved in critical operations in the NDT industry and are highly paid in renowned Organizations. Every NDT personnel should aspire to become an NDT Level III after a certain experience in NDT Industry. This Article Guide To ASNT NDT Level III is to provide you a pathway for becoming an ASNT NDT Level III.
As per ASNT SNT TC 1A
An NDT LEVEL III is an individual with sufficient technical knowledge and skills to be capable of developing, qualifying, and approving procedures, establishing and approving techniques, interpreting codes, standards, specifications, and procedures; and designating the particular NDT methods, techniques, and procedures to be used.
The NDT Level III is responsible for the NDT operations for which qualified and assigned and should be capable of interpreting and evaluating results in terms of existing codes, standards, and specifications.
NDT Level III is authorized to train and certify NDT Level I, II, and III Personnel only in methods he/she is certified as NDT Level III and approves the test procedures.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR INITIAL QUALIFICATION
In order to get certified as NDT level III one must have a baccalaureate degree (or higher) in engineering or science, plus one additional year of experience beyond the Level II requirements in NDT in NDT method(s),
if one doesn’t have a baccalaureate degree one get certified if he/she has completed at least two years of engineering or science study at a university, college, or technical school, with passing grades, plus two additional years of experience beyond the NDT Level II requirements in applicable NDT method(s),
if one doesn’t fully fill any of the above-mentioned criteria he/she can get certified after having four years of experience beyond the NDT Level II requirements in applicable NDT method(s).
ASNT NDT Level III program
The ASNT NDT Level III program was Inaugurated in early 1977, ASNT NDT Level III certificates are recognized worldwide. This program provides third-party certification for nondestructive testing (NDT) or predictive maintenance (PdM) personnel. The program provides a system for ASNT NDT Level III certification in NDT in accordance with Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A.
NDT Basic Examination: a Level III written examination of knowledge of materials science and processes technology, NDT personnel qualification, and certification, and the basic principles of NDT methods.
Method Examination: a Level III written examination on the principles, theory, techniques, and applications within an NDT/PdM method.
Specific Examination: an examination of specifications, equipment, techniques, and procedures applicable to the employer’s product(s) and methods.
One can apply for ASNT NDT Level III exam on ASNT Website Link given below
ASNT no longer offers a schedule of available exam locations since they have started offering Computer-Based Testing(CBT).
one can Select for exam centers by visiting below link:
Eligibility: All ASNT Level III Candidates must successfully complete both
- Basic Examination: regardless of the method(s) for which the candidate seeks certification
- Method Examination: which is given at the candidate’s request, in one or more different NDT methods.
Note: NDT Basic Examination is to be cleared only once. Once you have cleared NDT Basic Examination, you don’t have to appear for Basic examination while appearing for NDT Level III in other methods.
NDT Basic Examination
The mandatory Basic examination addresses administrative and general technology knowledge issues.
This written examination consists of 135 questions that assess the candidate’s knowledge of:
- other NDT methods as required for ASNT Level II personnel;
- materials, fabrication, and product technology; and
- qualification and certification according to the ASNT, SNT-TC-1A, and ANSI/ASNT CP-189,
Note: Basic Examination is very important because even if anyone clears the method examination and fails in Basic Examination, He/ She will not be considered a pass and will have to reappear for Basic Examination.
Topical Outlines For Basic Examination:
This examination is 4 hrs in length, having 135 questions of equal value.
Administration of NDT personnel certification programs
- SNT-TC-1A, 2016 edition
- ASNT CP-189, 2016 edition
General familiarity with other NDT methods
- Radiography (safety, X-ray, and isotope methods)
- Neutron radiography
- Ultrasonic testing
- Eddy current and flux leakage testing
- Liquid penetrant testing
- Magnetic particle testing
- Leak testing
- Acoustic emission testing
- Visual testing
Materials, fabrication, and production technology
- Properties of materials, the origin of discontinuities, and failure modes
- Materials processing (casting, welding, forging, brazing, soldering, machining, heat treatment, surface treatment, adhesive bonding, etc.)
- Dimensional metrology
This written examination consists of a minimum of 90 questions that assess the candidate’s knowledge and application of fundamentals, principles, and techniques for that method in which certification is sought. The Method Examination may include a portion that examines the candidate’s ability to comprehend a specification and apply its requirements.
ASNT NDT Level III Refresher Courses
- The NDT Level III Refresher courses are a great help while preparing for NDT Level III examinations. many people choose to take the refresher courses before appearing for the NDT Level III exams.
- The NDT refresher courses are typically structured to gain Knowledge to take up ASNT NDT Level III examinations.
- These refresher courses are designed to help refresh and expand ones’ knowledge of important concepts in each NDT topic.
- However, these refreshers courses should not be used as the sole source of exam preparation. The courses may not possibly cover everything that may appear on the exam.
Many Private training institutes provide such Refreshers courses.
ASNT itself provide NDT Level III Refresher courses, refer below link for more information.
Important Link: For Basic and Method examination Specifications.
By clicking on above link you will get
- Topical Outlines of the Exam,
- References for the particular Exam,
- Number of questions in the exam,
- Examination Time Period.
- Candidates that successfully pass all required examinations for ASNT certification, shall be issued certification documents.
- After clearing the NDT Exam ASNT provides an ASNT NDT Level III certificate and a wallet card.
- Candidates that do not pass all required examinations for ASNT certification will be sent written notification of their results and may reapply to retake the failed examinations.
The certificate has a unique serial number which can be traced on the ASNT website.
Notification of results is sent to each candidate by ASNT within thirty (30) business days by designated testing centers to give the PASS/FAIL results upon completion of the exam.
- A maximum of three (3) examinations in any Method or the Basic examination is permitted within a one (1) year period.
- The candidate that fails the initial basic or Method examination shall not be permitted to retake the examination for thirty (30) days from the date of failure.
- A candidate that fails the basic or Method examination for a second (2nd) time shall not be permitted to retake the examination for ninety (90) days from the date of failure.
- A candidate that fails the basic or Method examination for a third (3rd) time shall not be permitted to retake the examination for one (1) year from the date of failure and must reapply as a new candidate.
We have covered important Points of
Administration of NDT personnel certification programs
- SNT-TC-1A, 2016 edition in our Blog BEGINNERS GUIDE TO NON DESTRUCTIVE TESTING (NDT) – UPDATED 2020
- ASNT CP-189, 2016 edition in our: ESSENTIALS OF ANSI / ASNT CP-189-2016
We will also cover all the other topics which will help you prepare for ASNT NDT L-III in our coming Articles.
All the Best.
- ASNT SNT TC 1A